$3 Dish of the Day: Split Pea Soup
I’m a huge fan of split peas. They’re low fat and absolutely packed full of protein and fiber. Also, they’re ridiculously tasty, and turning them into a delish soup is pretty much perfect on a cold night. Just sayin’.
Over the past three weeks, we’ve been bringing you some of our fave vegan recipes that just so happen to be cheap, super simple, and packed full of flavor. This recipe is no different: It’s very cheap—it makes 4 servings for less than 3 bucks. Dunk some crusty bread or crackers in this Split Pea Soup, and you’ll be all set.
What you need:
- 1 bag split peas, $.99 for 1 lb. bag
- 2 carrots, chopped, $1.23 for 2 lb. bag, $.16 for 2 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, $.50 for 1 head of garlic, $.12 for 3 cloves
- 1 onion, diced, $1.97 for 3 lb. bag, $.20 for 1 onion
- 2 bay leaves, $2.34 for a 12 oz. bottle, $.18 for 2 leaves
- 1 vegetarian bouillon cube, $1.29 for 2 oz. box, $.21 for one cube
- 6 to 7 cups water, $0
- 1 teaspoon marjoram, $2.09 for 2 oz. bottle, $.17 for 1 teaspoon
- Few dashes liquid smoke (optional), $3.49 for 1 bottle, $.05 for a few dashes
- Salt and pepper, to taste, approximately $.10
Grab a large pot and combine all ingredients except salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for approximately 45 to 50 minutes, until you have your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Eat up!
YUM! What’s your fave soup recipe?
P.S. Since this recipe makes 4 servings, be sure to share some with your fam—your parents will be super impressed that you made soup from scratch!