Recipe of the Week: Chickpea Masala & Biscuits!
“I’d like the chickpea masala, please.”
“Would you like rice biscuits with that?”
OK, OK, I know you’d never hear that question at an Indian restaurant, but luckily, you’ll be in the comfort of your own home when you make and eat this, so who cares if it seems like a weird combo? 🙂
This month, we’re bringing you some of our fave recipes, and I make this recipe several times a month because it’s easy, delish, cheap, and of course, vegan. Chickpea masala is normally served up with rice, but my boo and I ? it over biscuits—or even corn tortillas! Gotta switch things up, ya know?
Deliciousness (aka Chickpea Masala & Biscuits):
What you need:
- 2 cans chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Arora Creations Chicken Tikka Masala seasoning packet (It’s made for chicken, but works great with chickpeas! If you can’t find the packet or a similar one, you can also make your own seasoning.)
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- Dried ginger, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 to 6 biscuits (I just follow the recipe on the Bisquick box, and sub almond milk for cow’s milk)
Cook the onion and garlic in olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat until light brown. Add a bit of ginger, to taste. Next up, add the seasoning packet and stir it in well, until all the onions and garlic are coated. Add tomato sauce and cook for two more minutes, then pour chickpeas into the mixture and stir frequently for about 8 minutes. At that point, add about 1/2 cup of water, then cover and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat, grab a bowl, add two biscuits in the bottom, and pour a couple of large spoonfuls of the chickpea mixture on top of them. Top with as much cilantro as you like, and eat up!
Makes approximately 3 servings.
What do you think is the best chickpea masala companion? Biscuits, tortillas, rice, or something else?