Recipe of the Week: Vegan Tacos al Pastor!
Coming from a Mexican family, it’s no surprise that “Taco Tuesday” is more like “Taco Every Day,” but believe me, I’m not complaining! I’m pretty sure “taco” was the very first word I ever said as a baby—there must be a home movie of it somewhere around the house. 😉
The best thing about tacos is that they are the perfect wrapping for any delicious filling, and the combination possibilities are endless! One of my favorite ingredients to use in tacos is pineapple—hey, don’t judge! The pineapple combined with the other ingredients makes these fellas sweet and spicy at the same time. Try them out!
Vegan Tacos al Pastor
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 pkg. tempeh or Gardein‘s beefless tips, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 Tbsp. oil
1/4 cup mild green salsa
1 cup chopped pineapple, cut into bite-size pieces
6 yellow corn tortillas
1 avocado, sliced
- Sauté the bell pepper, onion, and tempeh in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the green salsa and cook for another 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the pineapple and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Warm the tortillas in a dry skillet until soft and pliable.
- Fill the tortillas with the sautéed veggies and tempeh and top with the cilantro, lime juice, and avocado.
Makes 2 servings
That’s it—just like home! Now you can impress your friends and family on taco night with this tasty and easy recipe.
And now to the serious question—are you team taco or team burrito? 😮