1 tsp. canola or sesame oil
1 pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained and sliced into long rectangles
1 cup vegan stir-fry sauce (we used sesame garlic)
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
1 avocado, mashed
1 tsp. wasabi paste (or more, to taste)
1 cup cooked sushi rice or white rice
4-6 slices pickled ginger
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1 cup prepared seaweed salad (optional)
Sesame seeds, to garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the tofu and fry on both sides over medium heat until lightly browned.
- Pour the stir-fry sauce over the tofu, making sure that each piece is well coated. Let simmer until coating becomes thick, about 10 minutes. Add the optional red pepper flakes, if desired.
- In a small bowl, mix together the avocado and wasabi paste.
- In another bowl, add the cooked rice and tofu. Top with the avocado-wasabi mixture, pickled ginger, green onion.
- Add the optional seaweed salad and sesame seeds, if desired.
- Most of these ingredients can be found at your local grocery store—check the Natural Foods or International Foods sections. Seaweed salad is available at most sushi places and Asian grocers.