Happy Spay Day! We’re so happy that there’s a day dedicated to taking care of our companion animals and spreading awareness about the devastating overpopulation crisis. Did you know that not spaying or neutering dogs and cats can lead to unwanted animals?
Reflect on this: One unaltered female cat and her offspring can produce an estimated 370,000 cats in only seven years, and a female dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies in six years.
Let’s break it down a little easier with a visual:
One unspayed cat and her kittens (and their kittens) can produce 36 kittens in just 16 months!
This makes the existing overpopulation problem even worse, leaving animals without homes, food, or water. Millions of dogs and cats end up in animal shelters across the country every year simply because there aren’t enough good homes for them. Spaying or neutering your animal companion will help control the problem.
Here’s what YOU can do to help:
- If someone you know is hesitant about the procedure, let that person know that you can help, and be there for him or her!
- If you know someone who can’t afford or isn’t willing to spend money on the procedure, let that person know that low-cost options exist. Call 1-800-248-SPAY to find your nearest low-cost spay-and-neuter clinic.
- Educate others about the overpopulation crisis!
- Encourage people always to adopt from animal shelters—and not to forget adult cats and dogs, who are often overlooked by people who want kittens and puppies.
- Work with your community to spread awareness and even talk to your local government officials about requiring companion animals to be spayed or neutered.
Let us know how it goes in the comments!