There’s no mystery to creating deliciously satisfying vegan meals. Countless peta2 studies have shown that if you master a veggie feast for friends and family, they’ll be more likely to support you and more inclined to adopt a healthier lifestyle of their own. Eisley’s vegetarian vocalist/keyboardist Stacy is well aware of this fact—she addicted her bandmates to tofu—and that’s exactly why she joined us to show you how easy and downright scrumptious it can be to make vegan grub. Eisley’s vocalist/guitarist Sherri also showed off her culinary skills while the rest of the band sat by to help us lick the plates clean.
Whether you’ve gone vegan “cold turkey” or just want to add more healthy, plant-based meals to your family’s diet, Eisley have the secret—and not-so-secret—tips you need to take the guesswork out of vegan cooking. After whipping up everything from Chili-“Cheeze” Dip and Veggie Chicken Salad to Feldman’s Unforgettable Tangy Tacos and Chocolate Tofu Pie, Stacy—who has only been vegetarian for six months—graciously sat down for an interview with us. As if that’s not enough, we’ve provided the very same recipes that sent the entire Eisley crew into a food euphoria. So, go ahead—kick back and relax: It’s time to veg out.
Easy to make and incredibly tasty, this dip is fantastic with bread, veggies, or tortilla chips.
1 tub vegan cream cheese (try Tofutti brand in jalapeño or regular flavor only)
1 can vegetarian chili (try Hormel brand)
Black olive slices, optional
Jalapeño slices, optional
Veggie burger crumbles, optional
- Mix all the ingredients together and microwave until hot.
Makes 4 servings
Veggie Chicken Salad
1 pkg. veggie chicken
1 small jar veggie mayo
Black pepper, to taste
Pita pocket shells
- Dice the veggie chicken into small pieces. Add some mayo and the pickles and lightly sprinkle with the pepper. Mix it all up and let chill.
- Fill the pita pockets with the veggie chicken salad mixture.
Makes 3 to 4 servings
Feldman’s Unforgettable Tangy Tacos
These easy, delicious tacos are perfect for lunch or dinner.
1/4 cup diced onions
1 bag (3 cups) vegan burger crumbles (try Morningstar Farms brand, available in the frozen-food section of most grocery stores)
Chili powder, to taste
6 taco shells
2 cups lettuce
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup grated soy cheese
- Sauté the onions in margarine until browned.
- Add the burger crumbles and stir. Sprinkle with the chili powder. Stir until the burger crumbles start to brown. Combine with the remaining ingredients to make tacos.
Note: For extra zest, top with sautéed mushrooms and onions, sliced avocado, vegan sour cream, salsa, chopped green onions, and/or chopped black olives.
Makes 4 servings
Chocolate Tofu Pie
Tofu acts as the perfect canvas for this extraordinary pie, giving it a smooth and creamy texture. Once you taste it, you’ll never believe that it’s made with tofu!
For the Crust:
2 oz. (about 1/4 cup) margarine, melted
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Combine the margarine and crumbs and pat into a pie pan. Bake for 7 minutes in a 350°F oven. Set aside.
For the Filling:
1 1/4 lbs. tofu (2 1/2 cubes)
1 cup rice syrup (or maple syrup)
2/3 stick margarine
1 Tbsp. vanilla
2/3 cup cocoa powder
- Mix the tofu in a food processor for several minutes until very smooth. Add the other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Fill the baked crust with the tofu mixture and chill.
Makes 8 servings