- 1 16 oz. box frozen spinach, heated in the microwave (or the fresh stuff, if you're classy)
- 1 – 2 jars of your favorite tomato sauce
- 1/2 lb. carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup canned low-sodium veggie broth
- 1 lb. herbed tofu (or regular tofu, with Italian seasoning added to it)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (available at health food stores)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 box manicotti noodles, cooked
- some vegan mozzarella cheese, if desired
1. Slice carrots, and set them aside.
2. Put olive oil into a large skillet, place over medium-high heat until hot.
3. Add the parsley and garlic, then saute for 1 minute.
4. Add the carrots and veggie broth; simmer uncovered for 5 min.
5. Add herbed tofu, and lemon juice; stir well.
6. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the mixture starts to melt. Feel free to stir in the nutritional yeast at this step, just to make it a little bit more cheesy!
7. Remove from heat; keep warm.
8. Place the cooked manicotti noodles in the bottom of an 11×7 baking dish, stuffing them with spread carrot mixture, the spinach, and then sauce.
9. Once they’re all stuffed, pour the remaining sauce over top.
10. Cover and bake 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
11. Uncover, add vegan cheese if desired, and bake an additional 15 – 20 minutes, or until it is thoroughly heated.